Friday, September 9, 2011

Our Inexpensive Morning Date

"Do you want to go out for coffee with me in the morning?" AK asked me during our phone conversation last night. He didn't have to ask twice; of course I wanted to get coffee with him! A little date, just like old times.  Plus, he's been working a lot lately and we haven't seen him much.  I've missed him.

This morning Henry was pretty fussy and wasn't awake very long before needing to go back down for a nap (wouldn't it be great if we could all nap at 8am?).  So much for my fancy morning date with AK.  Or was it?  We had three options: 1) cancel the date altogether, 2) bring coffeehouse coffee and grocery store coffee cake to the house, or 3) improvise at home.  Considering that we were sorely in need of precious time together, as well our newly formed commitment to get on a budget, we decided to go with option 3.  So while AK brewed a pot of coffee, I looked up "quick coffee cake" on one of my favorite recipe websites.  Thirty minutes later, we were sitting on the couch, drinking coffee, eating warm,homemade coffee cake and talking.  Just like when we were back in college. Except we were in our living room with our baby was sleeping upstairs.  And we had an extra $10 in our pocket.

It was a good date.

No comments:

Post a Comment